Here are some things to do for great gaming.
- Ask questions and hear people out!
- Share the spotlight and help others have fun!
- Step away from the table if you need to use your phone!
- Don’t use “it’s what my character would do” as an excuse!
- Don’t engage in pedantry and other fun-impeding behavior!
- Clean up after yourself and help us keep the space nice!
Pause. Rewind. Edit.
Help us make the game a good time for everyone present.
- Pause the game if you need a moment.
- The DM can rewind the action and try a different approach.
- Help edit out unwelcome content that’s making things uncomfortable.
Accidents happen, but play time is no time to be rude. Play well and together.
Code of Conduct
This policy is a “living” document, and subject to refinement and expansion in the future. Last updated August 30, 2018.
Everyone participating in a Level Eater event—including, but not limited to actual play—is required to agree to the following Code of Conduct. This includes all attendees, speakers, performers, patrons, sponsors, volunteers, and staff.
Level Eater is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurotype, physical appearance, body, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
What your character “would do” does not excuse violating this Code of Conduct. Play does not pardon bad behavior.
Anyone who violates this Code of Conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the Level Eater organizers.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurotype, physical appearance, body, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect other Level Eater community members or other vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication without consent by the involved parties
Level Eater prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Level Eater reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding such behaviors as (but not limited to):
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a “tone” you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, Level Eater may take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Level Eater spaces and identification of the participant’s behavior to other Level Eater community members or the general public.
Reporting and Enforcement
If you are harassed by a member of the Level Eater community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact us immediately via email at adventures (at) leveleater (dot) com
Please contact any member of our production, volunteer or event team. We will endeavor to make them easy for participants to identify.
If the person who is harassing you is a member of staff, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident.
All reports will be handled in the strictest confidence. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This policy was based on resources made available by XOXO and Geek Feminism, and borrows heavily from similar open source policies.
This policy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. We encourage other events to adopt and enforce similar policies by using and remixing ours.